Jarrod Bowen and Michail Antonio struck either side of half-time as West Ham cruised past Derby County and into the fifth round of the Emirates FA Cup.

David Moyes’ men booked a fifth-round date with Manchester United thanks to a controlled display against League One opposition at Pride Park.

Bowen and Antonio poached goals in each half to blunt the in-form Rams and see their side through to the fifth round for the third successive season.

The hosts made a sprightly start but the first sight of goal for either side came when Bowen bounded into the box and curled a shot straight at keeper Joe Wildsmith.

It was a sign of things to come as Bowen put the Hammers ahead on 10 minutes, poking past Wildsmith after a neat passage of interplay with Tomas Soucek and Antonio.

The opening goal marked a further return to form for the England man, fresh from a match-winning brace against Everton in the Premier League.

Derby continued to probe despite going a goal down, right-back Korey Smith surging forward and Conor Hourihane blazing over from long range.

Tom Barkhuizen was particularly bright down the left and he found James Collins who lashed a left-footed effort well wide of Alphonse Areola’s net, before firing over the bar himself.

The visitors lacked verve and tempo in the first half but undid Derby’s good work with a second goal five minutes after half-time.

Bowen’s right-wing delivery deflected off Craig Forsyth and looped into the path of Antonio, who nodded home to double the lead.

A flowing move down the left nearly produced a third on 66 minutes as Said Benrahma slipped Bowen in but he could only fire straight at Wildsmith’s body.

Paul Warne made a quadruple change including the introduction of Jake Rooney – Wayne’s cousin – but the pattern was set, with Derby unable to register a shot on target on the night.

Ben Johnson drew Wildsmith into a sharp save at his near post, but the tie had long since been settled.

Source: The Football Association


Recent Post